Chugiak (pron.: /ˈtʃuːɡiːæk/) is an unincorporated community in the Municipality of Anchorage in the U.S. state of Alaska, situated approximately 20 miles (32 km) northeast of downtown Anchorage. It is located between Eagle River to the south, and Eklutna to the north, and between Knik Arm to the west and the Chugach Mountains to the east.
There are about 8300 residents, most of whom work in Anchorage or the Matanuska-Susitna Valley, and are spread out mainly along the Glenn Highway. The urban cluster of Anchorage Northeast (including Chugiak and surroundings) has an estimated population of 31,000 (2010), covering an area of 39 km².
The name “Chugiak” comes from a Dena’ina word meaning “place of many places”. Chugiak was first heavily settled in the 1950s, primarily by the homesteading by former military personnel who had served in Alaska during World War II. It is currently one of the main sites of suburban expansion near Anchorage.
Chugiak is also the home of the “Birchwood Shooting & Recreational Park”, (adjacent to the Birchwood Airport), the largest Rifle, pistol, and shotgun range facility in the State of Alaska. The annual Alaska State Trap and Skeet competitions are held there.
Chugiak has its own post office, with United States postal zip-code 99567, which encompasses the component[clarification needed] communities of Birchwood and Peters Creek.
Chugiak Real Estate Listings
Active Listings in Chugiak
- 22606 Northwoods Drive Chugiak, AK 99567
- 19628 Chugach Park Drive Chugiak, AK 99567
- 21030 Meadow Lake Drive Chugiak, AK 99567
- 23240 Blue Skies Circle Chugiak, AK 99567
- Lot 31 Tbd-Glacier Vista Road Chugiak, AK 99567
- Lot 30 Tbd-Glacier Vista Road Chugiak, AK 99567
- 16709 Pleasant View Drive Chugiak, AK 99567
- L135 Tbd-S. Birchwood Loop Road Chugiak, AK 99567
- L134 Tbd-S. Birchwood Loop Road Chugiak, AK 99567
Sold Listings in Chugiak
- 19312 Starflower Circle Chugiak, AK 99567
- 22717 Sherman Street #206 Chugiak, AK 99567
- 21950 Sheltering Spruce Loop Chugiak, AK 99567
Walk Score for Chugiak
Chugiak School Data
Chugiak School Districts
We’re sorry, we were unable to load the school district data. Please check back soon.
- Chugiak Elementary School
- PK-5, public
- Chugiak High School
- 9-12, public
- Mirror Lake Middle School
- 6-8, public
- Coho High School
- 7-12, public